5 resources for marketers - learn to YOUR advantage
Updated: May 30
In this month's blog I am inspired from the conversations I've had with marketers from across the nation over the past months.
What has stood out for me is the varying levels of knowledge each holds. From seasoned marketers, to those starting out, to those who have filled a marketing role and are learning as they go.
Learning is continuous, and it happens sometimes by accident and other times by intent.
My current intent involves a course on digital marketing strategy. I am only a couple of weeks in, and I am finding affirmations in what I know and new learnings that will enhance my work going forward. It's kind of exciting! What is also exciting is that my daughter is now in post secondary school, earning her marketing diploma. We chat about best practices, tips she is learning and knowledge that I can share her way.
You see, learning never stops.
In the true spirit of paying it forward, I am sharing some learning opportunities I have come across - maybe it will spark a little something for you.
1. Online courses. Current Online Certificate courses offered through the Canadian Marketing Association (CMA) include certificate courses in Digital Marketing, Digital Marketing Strategy, Digital Analytics, Integrated Branding and Marketing Metrics. Additionally, they offer on-demand courses of Compliance for Marketers and Introduction to Canadian marketing.
I have taken the compliance for marketers and am currently taking the digital marketing strategy. Both have been very insightful. I appreciated the compliance one, as there are always changes, and it’s important to ensure that as marketers we are colouring in the lines (at least when it comes to compliance!). As mentioned above, I am fresh into the digital marketing strategy, but so far it has been well worth the investment.
UPDATE: I have completed the course, having passed with honours. It was a great course and one I recommend to both seasoned and budding marketers.
2. Designation program. The Chartered Marketer program is a two-year online designation for Canadian Marketers, also offered through the Canadian Marketing Association. If you are someone who is learning marketing as you go, this could be a great program for you while continuing to work and apply what you learn. If you are a seasoned marketer, you may be able to apply for the designation with criteria based on your education and experience.
I did not take the courses offered in this program, however I have obtained the designation through the executive advanced standing.
3. Social Media/Digital Marketing. There are many avenues for learning ins and outs for social media or digital marketing out there. The two that come to mind are Blue Moose Media who offers a 4-day or 6-day digital marketing certification, focusing on organic social media and paid targeted advertising. The second is through the Hootsuite Academy which offers several options from social marketing, social selling, and social media strategy to name a few.
While I have not taken training from Blue Moose Media, I have heard good things about it. I have taken several Hootsuite academy trainings and found the learnings directly applicable.
4. LinkedIn Learning has been a tremendous resource for me. I have found that the library of quality training courses to be applicable with so many take-aways.
5. Podcasts and Books bring new insights and ways of thinking. Here are a handful that I would recommend:
The Next CMO (podcast)
Modern Marketing Messages (podcast)
The Email Warrior (book written by Ann Gomez)
The Speed of Trust (book written by Stephen M.R. Covey)
Change your Questions, Change your Life (book written by Marilee Adams)
If you have a course, book or podcast that has been profound or inspirational to you in marketing or leadership, please share with me! I am always thirsty to learn more.
I hope you found this helpful.
Keep on being amazing!
Whether you are interested in learning more about how blue dragonfly can help your business, are interested in joining or learning more about Mastermind groups, would like to chat about a speaking engagement, or just want to meet with me, this is a great way to get started. https://www.bluedragonflystrategies.ca/contact
Cheers to the beginning of a great relationship.